A new recipe for me. I tried it today for a get together with neighbors. We all liked it – hooray! The recipe is Smoky Sweet Potato Chili from the blog “Shugary Sweets” which I found via Yummly. The recipe is below. I made a few modifications:
- I only had one 15 oz can of chili beans so I used what I had: 1 can of chili beans, 1 can of black beans
- I added a full orange bell pepper, diced
- I had chicken broth on hand so used that instead
- I skipped chili powder because I ran out (though I imagine it would be good with it)
- I skipped liquid smoke. I didn’t have any and didn’t want to buy a whole bottle to use one teaspoon and I read about the evident chemical taste it has (ew).
I didn’t take a picture from my version, so I’m including the one from the blog.
Here’s the recipe:
Yield: serves 6-8
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
1 can (30.5 oz) mild red chili beans (with sauce)
1 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 small onion, diced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp liquid smoke
In a large crockpot (slow cooker) add all the ingredients. Stir and cover. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours, until sweet potatoes are tender. ENJOY!